Thursday, October 30, 2008

Busy Busy Busy

I have been so busy these last two weeks, and it does not look like it is going to slow down. Last weekend I went to the Building a Better Journalist event in Eugene. It was a blast in my opinion.

The first session I went to was the Avoiding interview pitfalls with Les Zaitz. I took about four pages of notes during his speech, I honestly think that will improve my interviewing skills significantly.

Then I went to Diving in deep waters with ProPublica's Steve Engelberg. It was interesting and fairly informative. The main point of the speech was that there are no stupid questions, and as journalist we really have to believe that so we can get all the info needed.

Then we had the Lunch panel, where they talked about the future of news. That was pretty interesting because they talked about all the decline in newspaper jobs and what will be happening with traditional newspapers and all that.

Next I went to Podcasting. Which was actually more of how to use recording devices and how to edit sound files. It was pretty cool, I am thinking about getting some kind of recorder so it was good info.

The last session I went to was the So you want to be a blogger? Not that I really intend to be a professional blogger or anything, I just thought this one would be interesting. And it was! I added some blogs from the people presenting that session to my bloglist here. I like the Biking one a lot.

Then after the conference was over I went to a bar near by with a bunch of the people. I talked to one guy who works in Salem and covers mostly political stuff, and talked to another Journalism student from Eugene.

The night before the conference I went to a friend's independent film showing, so I was up pretty late. And then Saturaday after the conference I went to a Corn Maze, then was up late again because i was hanging with the same friend... THEN my bus home left at like 7am so I was up super early... Yea...

No comments: